Tuesday, April 2, 2013


Good rather late evening,

I missed posting on 'Clean Monday', 25th March (both big celebrations here) and even European Easter!...my how time flies, and the Summer has not yet arrived....

I have discovered pinterest and Googleplus but am not entirely sure how they work...and I have seen a local expat pantomime, (one has to admire anyone that gets dressed up in silly cossies and performs in front of such an eclectic audience)...we saw a wonderful show of Greek dances in the most beautiful traditional costumes...I had no idea there were so many talented Greek Dancers and schools on the island...about 32 schools in various villages I think.

We also saw several bands in gale force winds on 25th March along with a slightly odd wreath ceremony with the local dignitaries all standing rather windswept and awkward to sombre brass band music and a group of about 30 students chanting something about closure of their university behind well over 30 riot clad policemen looking easily as awkward as the politicians. It left a rather odd sensation of an uneasy balance between old and new.

And Easter here, is yet to come....

Life is rarely dull on this vibrant little island, it houses many hidden talents  and traditions amongst its olive groves and ancient walls....and each year I am here, I discover a few more. The journey continues....




No comments:

Post a Comment